Thursday, September 11, 2014

Some Days Were Made for Warm Hugs and Coffee Mugs

What a dreary, sad day it's been. The cold drizzle lasted all day, on and off and I've been craving big sweaters, comfy socks, warm drinks of the fall flavored variety, and laying in my bed watching Portlandia. Unfortunately, college doesn't always allow you to do stuff like that every time the weather decides to take a vacation. Either way, the beginnings of fall are in the air, which means LAYERS, layers, and more layers. I'd have to say that fall has recently become my favorite season because of the number of clothing items you can pile on yourself to feel warm and ready to go. So tonight's post will be devoted to everything fall and how to take your summer wardrobe and bring it into a new season.

Generally, I don't buy anything that I'm not going to wear all year around-it just doesn't make sense to do it the other way, especially if I'm paying good money to buy it. I want to get the most bang for my buck and wear my clothes year round. That being said, an easy way to wear your summer dresses in the fall is adding a tights or leggings and a pair of socks with boots. At this point in my life, I've collected a ridiculous number of socks, but from my perspective, you have to have some to choose from depending on the occasion and outfit. Buying a neutral colored pair of boots can also be worn with almost anything, especially if they are black or brown. Sweaters and pullovers are also great for all and are cute layered over a dress. If your sweaters are oversized, throw it over a dress and belt it to make it more flattering.

Really, there are no wrong answers in layering or fashion. Doing something unexpected or pairing prints that are different can make a statement and liven up your outfit. If I have a printed dress on but want to wear leggings, socks, and boots, I often try and pick a pair of socks that have a small print (so it's less distracting from the big print on your dress or top) and are a more neutral color that complement the rest of the outfit. This way, you can get away with colors and prints that don't necessarily go right with your outfit.

It definitely felt like fall today and here's what I wore. Lots of layers (yay!) and comfy socks and boots:)


Sweater: $10, thrifted from Paperdoll Vintage
Necklace: Free, handmade by my friend Juan Mora
Dress: $10, Urban Outfitters
Leggings: $12, Target
Socks: $12, Urban Outfitters
Boots: $30, Target

I buy a lot of my clothes on sale or from thrift stores. There are lots of tricks to finding cheap things from big name stores; it all depends on when you go to shop. Look for an upcoming blog post about when to shop and how to find great, inexpensive pieces to add to your closet.

Also, check out the new side bar features on the right side of the blog. There you can find the most popular posts, an archive, a search bar, and what the Consignment Kat is listening to. Check back for new updates:)

No comments:

Post a Comment